Director Financial Reporting
Consultant Kimberley Verasdonck
Datum 6 augustus 2018Zuidplein 28 1077 XV Amsterdam Robert Walters The Netherlands
Would you like to work for a large retailer organization with strong local brands? And moreover, for one of the best employers of the Netherlands? Do you have indept knowledge of IFRS? Are you also RA or CPA-qualified? Perfect, for Ahold Delhaize we are looking for a Director Financial Reporting role.
Ahold Delhaize is one of world’s largest food retail groups and a leader in both supermarkets and e-commerce. Their local brands serves over 50 million customers each week in the United States, Europe and Indonesia. The brands are at the forefront of sustainable retailing, sourcing responsibly, supporting local communities and helping customers make healthier choices. They operate in a rapidly changing and highly competitive industry. Ahold Delhaize has a strong balance sheet with attractive returns to shareholders and a strong free cash flow generation with disciplined capital allocation.
Department / Business unit
The key areas of responsibility of the Financial Reporting team are:
- Working with the brands and supporting them with accounting and reporting related matters.
- Preparation of Ahold Delhaize’s financial information including the Annual Report and the Interim Financial Statements and in close cooperation with the Business Planning & Performance, Communications & Investor Relations teams.
- Maintaining the Ahold Delhaize Accounting Manual and Closing Instructions.
The Director Financial Reporting supports the execution of the activities of the Financial Reporting team at the Group Support Office (GSO) located in Zaandam. The Director will be the liaison between the Financial Reporting team and local brands and GSO departments (such as Tax, Legal, Treasury and Merger & Acquisition).
In this role he/she supports the Brands with accounting and reporting related matters and provides guidance on the application of accounting standards and the Group’s accounting policies. As the knowledge area is broad and the skills set required to deliver sound financial information from an accounting and reporting perspective is diverse, the performance of this function represents a significant professional challenge. The function requires project management skills, subject matter expertise and a broad understanding of IFRS principles. The director understands the retail business and processes and applies knowledge in projects to make the financial organization better every day.
The Director also plays a key role in preparing the Annual Report, the Interim Financial Statements and ad-hoc projects and requests from senior finance management. In addition, he/she monitors IFRS and business developments and pro-actively proposes updates to the Ahold Delhaize Accounting Manual and Closing Instructions.
Main tasks & responsibilities
- Liaison between the Financial Reporting team and GSO departments (including Tax, Legal, Treasury and Merger & Acquisition) and a number of brands. The director is responsible for timely addressing and finalizing their accounting consultations and maintains good working relationships with (senior) management of these functions and brands.
- Independently leads (ad hoc) multidisciplinary GSO projects in financial reporting area’s or acts as a delegate of the VP Financial Reporting.
- Chairing bi-weekly cross departmental update meetings
- Maintain specialist knowledge of the accounting topics relevant to the Group and actively monitor IFRS and business developments.
- Coach colleagues with accounting literature research and to document conclusions in a clear and concise manner.
- Supervises and prepares notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements and Interim Financial Statements.
- Respond to ad-hoc analytical information requests from senior financial line management and other GSO departments.
- The director facilitates internal training courses, reviews training materials, including elearning, on a project basis and is also the second-in-line contact person for the external auditor with respect to Ahold Delhaize GAAP and accounting consultations, provide input for and respond to questions arising from financial audits.
Education / experience
- Master degree in Finance or Economics plus RA, CPA or equivalent;
- 10+ years relevant experience, preferably in accounting and/or financial auditing in a (big4) accounting firm, or a relevant leading position in a finance department of a large public multinational;
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles and guidelines under IFRS and corporate processes is required (including Tax accounting and financial instruments (IAS 12, IFRS 9); and can understand reports of actuaries and/or valuators and understand the methodologies used.
- Able to apply knowledge to complex projects and processes;
- Good communication and persuasion skills.
- A critical and analytical mindset, with an eye for detail and accuracy;
- Team player with a hands-on mentality;
- Fluent in English and Dutch.
Ahold Delhaize offers (e.g.)
- Working for a large well-known retail company;
- Work in the dynamic international environment of the company with colleagues who have a broad range of professional experience;
- Many interesting growing opportunities within the company;
- Excellent salary package;
- Great office with good facilities, easy to reach by public transport or car.
Please apply for this vacancy asap via our website (button below). We are looking forward to meeting you. Do you know someone in your network that would suit the role well? Please let us know as well! We will reward you with a nice incentive and forever lasting gratitude.