Consultant Guy de Wilde
Datum 8 juni 2018Zuidplein 28 1077 XV Amsterdam Robert Walters The Netherlands
For the holding of an international group in commodity trading we're recruiting a Group Controller with both a Business- as well as a Financial Control skillset. Managing a team of two direct reports (RA/CPA-level). Closely working together with the Group CFO. Up for the challenge in a dyamic environment? Contact me today!
Purpose of the function:
• Get the basics right: you are end-responsible that corporate financial information is accurate, complete, compliant with relevant accounting principles and delivered in time.
• Ensure one version of the truth enables the company to take the next step in finance – pick up improvement projects and perform analyses to add value to the business as a whole.
• Act as direct sparring partner for Chief Financial Officer.
• Act as a sparring partner for the business and local finance directors.
• Manage the group control team, with two direct reports.
• Responsible for planning, control, budget, reporting and analysis. Based on analysis and broad vision the hubs will be challenged on strategy, budget and realization of plans.
It is important that the Group Controller identifies and manages issues in the hubs and actively contributes to structural solutions. Group Control runs scenarios to facilitate managements decision making and analyzes /interprets developments and plans to assess the impact on the company’s strategy and management. Where needed the Group Controller will initiate (additional) research.
• Making company / hub economic analyses – benchmarking / ratio analysis / optimization analysis.
• Pro-actively come with suggestions to improve the way or working and contribute to different projects in the field of automation, process improvement, risk controls and information maintenance.
• Drive improvements in reporting in conjunction with the local finance directors.
• Review and prepare the budgets, and monitor realization of these targets.
• Lead the monthly and annual financial statement closing process for the Group by participating in and supervising the preparation of monthly consolidated management reports / consolidated financial statements / bank collateral reports and the holding accounting function.
• Drive the compliance program; maintenance of the code of conduct and Q&A, summarize and discuss compliance notifications and promotion of the compliance culture.
• Provide technical accounting advice to the hubs.
The ideal candidate is an experienced professional with presence, persuasiveness and a successful track record as controller of a significant operating company. The Group Controller is a committed and effective finance manager with a strong personality, also being an inspirator and counterpart for the CFO, finance directors and business management. The person in this role is expected to grow into other roles, eg finance director of one of our 4 hubs, group treasurer or another role after approximately 3 years of working as a group controller. If someone is showing good progress and there is outlook to a more senior role the company is willing to invest (eg registered treasury education).
• Master’s degree in accounting, finance or business related economics.
• Chartered Accountant or Chartered Controller preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years working experience.
• Knowledge of IFRS and Dutch GAAP.
• Good knowledge of automated systems (Microsoft Office and ERP-systems), knowledge of consolidation software Cognos is a pre.
• Being able to contribute to development of long- and short-term business plans from vision, experience and analytical ability.
• Able to act on initiative, identify opportunities and proactive in putting forward ideas and solutions.
• Able to work well in an international environment bridging the associated challenges of different time-zones, cultures, language capabilities.
• Important are initiative, drive and self-starting ability.
• With tact and expertise the candidate is confident, manages to convince and makes decisions based on arguments.
• An inspiring personality, approachable, easy to communicate with and able to integrate a solid financial reporting and control system in the organization.
• People manager and a team player. Understands the implications of change and can provide assistance to parties involved.
• Creates confidence by good performance.
• Understand that significant progress is sometimes made in small steps.
• Diplomatic, sensitive and ability to relativize and empathize
Are you a senior Finance professional with a solid track record triggered by this position? Please apply as soon as possible and let's get in touch.