Consultant Joyce Toeset
Datum 6 juni 2018Zuidplein 28 1077 XV Amsterdam Robert Walters The Netherlands
The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV is the Brussels based European bank of BNY Mellon. With branches in 7 European jurisdictions the European bank has a presence across key countries in continental Europe. Its presence in the Netherlands consists of locations in Amsterdam and Breda and focuses on custody and depositary services for institutional clients based in the Netherlands.
The main team of the legal department of the European Bank (the “Continental Legal Team”) is based in Brussels with local teams in the larger branches. The work of the team members based in Amsterdam has a focus on a Netherlands law perspective. Such matters include the negotiation of client agreements, the implementation of (European) legislation on service models and existing agreements, product development, purchase agreements, corporate law and corporate governance, corporate secretary related work and dispute resolution.
The Continental Legal Team members work closely with each other and the legal teams based in London, notable the colleagues of the London based Asset Servicing Legal Team. Legal projects within BNY Mellon are often multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary. The Continental Legal Team also liaises with colleagues in the United States and APAC region on the business lines it supports and (custody) network arrangements.
Your role will be to provide legal advice and support to the Amsterdam branch on a wide variety of legal matters with an emphasis on custody and depositary services. This requires close cooperation with your colleagues in the Netherlands and internationally. You will be involved in discussions with local clients and prospects, provide local law input on legal projects, assist in product development and perform corporate secretary activities.
The role offers a unique opportunity to work on a broad range of financial services provided by BNY Mellon across Europe, experience a dynamic international financial institution and develop on a professional and personal level in the coming years. Your portfolio will enable you to work on a broad range of subjects and will bring you in close contact with highly motivated professionals throughout the BNY Mellon organisation.
Hierarchically, you will report to the Senior Legal Counsel in Amsterdam. You will be based in the office in Amsterdam and required to work from the Breda office one day every two to three weeks.
Responsibilities Legal Counsel
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts with clients;
- Support strategic business initiatives through the provision of effective and timely legal advice and legal documentation;
- Advise business and management on banking and financial law/regulation (such as AIFMD, Brexit, CSDR, GDPR, MAR, MiFID II, PSD2, etc.) and assist in the development of plans to comply with (new) law and regulation;
- Advise/support business in developing services and products in line with applicable law & regulation;
- Advise on a wide range of facility management related purchase agreements;
- Advise and prepare documentation in relation to internal and external outsourcing;
- Advise local management on corporate law and corporate governance and act as a corporate secretary;
- Support and advice - in conjunction with the litigation, enforcement & investigations team - on dispute resolution when necessary;
- Represent the legal team and actively participate in governance bodies, business steering committees and working groups;
- Support the instruction and management of external counsel (including assistance with analysis and collation of advice from such counsel);
- Assist with the development of formal training sessions for business colleagues on relevant topics, e.g. documentary standards/policies/market industry issues/legal issues; and
Support knowledge sharing within the legal team.
Key relationships / stakeholders:
- The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV General Counsel;
- Fellow members of the Continental Legal Team;
- The Bank of New York Mellon SA/NV & Amsterdam Branch management;
- EMEA Compliance & Risk Management;
- The Head of the Asset Servicing Legal Team;
- EMEA wide legal team.
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years’ work experience in a law firm with a focus on contracts and contract law and will also have, amongst other technical skills and experience:
- A Master's degree in Civil Law or Financial Law of the Netherlands;
- Fluency in Dutch and English; good knowledge of a third European language (written & oral) is a plus;
- Familiarity with current legal, regulatory and market trends;
- Basic knowledge of the financial services & banking industry and the applicable regulatory frameworks.
The Legal Counsel should also have:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Adept problem solving skills – ability to identify practical solutions;
- A hands-on mentality with an eye for practical solutions;
- Flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities;
- Self-motivation to drive delivery against objectives – ability to work autonomously;
- Customer orientation & specifically a willingness to learn and to cultivate good working relationships with internal clients;
- Experience in balancing commercial flexibility and risk management;
- A sensitivity to intercultural contacts and communication;
- A willingness to explore the organisation and learn new things;
- A willingness to work as part of a team and help out on all matters.
Are you the Legal Counsel BNY Mellon is looking for? Please contact the Legal Division from Robert Walters or apply now!