Consultant Henjo van Niekerk
Datum 25 oktober 2018 2018-10-252018-12-24 banking Zuidplein 28 1077 XV Amsterdam
We have been engaged by one of the worlds Top 5 largest Banks and due to their rapid growth are looking for an experienced Legal Counsel to join their expanding team in Amsterdam.
Purpose of the function
To assist the Head of Legal in managing the legal activities of Bank in the EU.
Reporting to the Head of Legal, the legal counsel is required to oversee and manage the legal activities within the Bank.
- Providing legal advice, review draft and negotiate documentation and provide all related transaction management for products, including commercial lending, transaction banking, trade finance and payment systems as well as supplier agreements.
- Advising and assisting business units in the development and structuring of new products and new business initiatives.
- Advise on, participate in and assist with the implementation of key regulations such as the Benchmark Regulation, PSD 2 etc.
- Provide legal advice and support with respect to strategic, legal and documentation matters and initiatives, including through developing and monitoring standard documentation and processes within the Banking group.
- Advise on the legal, regulatory and reputational issues arising in transactions and in the non-transactional aspects of the operation and business activities of the Banking group.
- Manage the legal spend of Bank.
- Manage relationships with and selection, retention and costs of external counsel.
- Manage relationships with other service providers such as trustees, agents, stock exchanges and translators as required.
- Keep abreast of changes in law, regulations and market practice, ensure such changes are taken into account in the bank’s documentation and processes and provide training on legal and regulatory issues to the employees the Banking group.
- Participate in industry forums and working groups.
- Participate in working groups and committees for Banking group.
- Ensure close cooperation with the EMEA Legal team.
- Ensure compliance with the bank’s rules, policies, procedures and guidelines together with all relevant regulatory and statutory requirements.
- Drive for results with a strong sense of accountability.
- A pro-active, motivated approach.
- Collaborate and build partnerships.
- Communicate effectively and professionally.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly.
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement.
- A structured and logical approach to work.
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment.
- The ability to balance risk with opportunity.
- Deliver extraordinary customer experience.
- Demonstrate global perspective.
- Lead change & seek continuous improvement.
The function requires experience of a minimum of five years with legal and regulatory analysis for commercial lending transactions in a cross-border environment, ideally with previous exposure to one or more of the following areas:
- Bilateral, syndicated and/or project finance lending.
- Letters of credit, performance guarantees, receivables discounting and other trade finance arrangements.
- Secured financing's, acquisition and leveraged finance.
- Dutch law degree.
- Relevant master degree.
- Has experience working with a leading law firm or in-house within an investment bank or commercial bank.
- In depth knowledge of principles and practice of domestic law and regulatory rules impacting transactions (MiFID, CRR, PSD2)
- International legal experience.
- A sound knowledge of accounting principles and other banking procedures for assessment of credit and other banking risks.
- Strong relationship building qualities and thrives working with a diverse population.
- Has a desire to assist in the development of the bank and its Legal function across EMEA.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, problem solving and organisational skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Our client provides an interesting Compensation and Benefit package, a professional working environment and many possibilities for professional and personal growth.
Want to know more about this challenging position in a global leading Bank? Apply now or contact the Legal division at Robert Walters.